The Estero Island Historic Society Museum and Nature Center is located in the Davison Cottage (seen above), built in 1921 on the beachfront, and now located at 161 Bay St., Fort Myers Beach.
Come visit us on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 10 until noon.
The Cottage Museum sits at the trailhead to Matanzas Pass Preserve, the last maritime tropical hammock on Estero Island. The Preserve is currently closed while undergoing improvements to become ADA compatible.
EIHS General Membership meetings are held the second Monday of the month during season at 7:00 pm and are open to the public. Meetings are now held in our new library, on the third floor adjacent to the cafe, and with free wi/fi! Our speaker this month (February) will be Leroy Hommerding, Director of the newly reopened Fort Myers Beach Library. Ours was the first Free Library in Lee County. To learn more about the library and other island historic sites, click on "Historic Island Tour" on the bar above.
Sea Grape jelly has sold out again this year. It looks like we will have a productive summer, so check with us in the fall.
FGCU Consortium Series classes, as well as Lee County School District Field Trips and Programs are ongoing. Cypress Lake Middle School 6th Graders attended the the "Island Footprints" program developed by EIHS founder AJ Bassett. Six busloads of students spent a day at the Beach Library, Bay Oaks Recreation Center, and Matanzas Pass Preserve. Everyone involved had a great time.
Beach School Kindergarten Teacher Cathy Goodacre-Lee (above) arrives with her class for the annual Christmas Open House at the EIHS Cottage Museum in 2011. This year's Open House and Bake Sale will be held on December 12, from 4 to 6pm. We hope you all come to sample our island recipes, and meet old friends.
CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org 239.463.0435